Tuesday, October 12, 2010

a brief interlude

My father has yet to mention anyone from his family. He had two brothers and two sisters as well as his parents--all living at home. This strikes me as odd. I didn't expect him to mention my mother (she and her family lived a block away) and I can only assume that they weren't an item at this point. I haven't carefully read any further in the log than you (my faithful readers) have, so he may get around to mentioning them later. In skimming over this book, once he gets on the road and off to Yellowstone, it gets more interesting, so stay tuned.

In the meantime, if you want to know more about the CCCs, go here or here . What I discovered her was that the program was voted in by Congress on March 31, 1933, and the first enrollee was accepted on April 7. Three days later, my father joined the program.

Here's a blurb from Wikipedia:

The typical enrollee was a U.S. citizen, unmarried, unemployed male, 18–20 years of age. Normally the family was on local relief. Each enrollee volunteered, and upon passing a physical exam and/or a period of conditioning, was required to serve a minimum six month period with the option to serve as many as four periods, or up to two years if employment outside the Corps was not possible. Enrollees worked 40 hours a week over five days, sometimes including Saturdays if poor weather dictated. In return he received $30 a month with a compulsory allotment $22–25 sent to a family dependent, as well as food, clothing and medical care



No comments:

Post a Comment